In 1835 Wesleyan Grove, as the Oak Bluffs Campground was called, served as the site for annual summer camp meetings when Methodist church groups found the groves and pastures of Martha’s Vineyard particularly well suited to all-day gospel sessions. Within 40 years of the first camp meeting here, there were crowds of 30,000 attending the Grand Illumination that marked the end of the summer season with a glorious show of Japanese lanterns and fireworks.
Andrew Theokas Campground in Winter – photograph – size 21.5×8.5 – other sizes upon request.
Bob Fitzgerald – Oak Bluffs, Giclee available framed and unframed
Robert E. Kennedy, Lithographs and Decorative Tiles, Debra Minihan – Flying Horses
Bob Pizaro Photography
Charles La Roche, Gazebo Poster- Uta Kloss Photography
Leave a Comment January 24, 2013